Your photo is a very important part of your profile. Surveys show that employers are turned on by a Head Shot. The likelihood that your profile will get viewed increases 10-fold with the proper image. Choose a photo with just your head and shoulders. If you can’t find an image you like, then hire a professional photographer. Tips for your photo:
- Your photo should be only you. Do not include your spouse, children, pets, etc.
- Use a current picture so people aren’t surprised when they meet you in person.
- SMILE – Select a photo in which you appear friendly in an authentic way.
- Dress in a professional manner that is appropriate for your industry. Typically, this means a dress shirt or blouse, a shirt, and tie, or even a suit. However, in the Game Industry, for example, a suit would be overkill and look odd.
- Avoid white; it can make you appear washed out.
- Avoid busy backgrounds, standing against a solid-colored background is best.